7.5.10

Why?



I've been listening to Why? for about 2 years now, off and on, and they are still as wonderful as they were the first time. I've looked into many of their "similar artists" on Last.fm and nothing has ever come close to comparing with them :'). Why? is an Oakland based trio that has been making music for about 10 years. Their work is hard to describe, as it is so diverse and experimental and gorgeous. I'd say it's mostly indie hip-hop, with some rap and even some folk elements (especially in their newest album, "Eskimo Snow"). I have heard their entire discography about 20 times and I haven't gotten sick of it ONCE. I love their album Oaklandazulasylum the most by far. More info here. Enjoooyyy.


Oaklandazulasylum



2003; 14 tracks


This is my favorite Why? album. It took me a while to get into it because most of the songs are pretty short and fragmented and... it's just a trip to listen to the whole thing beginning to end. I always end up being in some dreary, dreamy state listening to this album - it gives me really funny dreams! My favorite tracks are Dream on Cortelyou, Our Neighbor's Daughter, and A Little Titanic. This is a perfect album, but it might not be for everyone... I suggest lisetning the shit out of it and forcing yourself to like it. I promise you will.

Download.


Elephant Eyelash



2005; 12 tracks


This album is extremely complex and layered and rich in texture/lyrical content. My favorite tracks are Yo Yo Bye Bye, Gemini (Birthday Song), and Rubber Traits. It is a difficult album to get into, but I'd consider it their most mature work of all. I love it.

Download.


Sanddollars EP



2005; 8 tracks


I really like this EP, especially the song 500 Fingernails. I think it shows a nice progression from their previous two albums. It seems like it introduces you to Why?'s new sound on Alopecia.

Download.


Alopecia



2008; 14 tracks


This is a cool album, but I think it is overhyped. As a whole, it's not amazing. I really love the songs "Simeon's Dilemma" and "Torpedo or Crohn's" like.. with all of my fucking heart. I also love the lyrics to the first 5 songs. Alopecia features more rapping, which turns some people off but whatever. Why? is awesome -heart-

Download.


Eskimo Snow



2009; 10 tracks


This is a nice album, it features more sentimental lyrics and softer music... I don't know how to describe it. Against Me is an amazing song :3 Eskimo is not bad, but it's not my favorite Why? album.

Download.

No comments:

Post a Comment