5.5.10

Johannes Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat, Op.83



Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) is one of my favorite composers. This is so weird, my favorite piano concertos are always the SECOND one! I love Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, I adore Shostakovich's, Prokofiev's is gorgeous, and Bartók's of course. I recently heard this exact version of this exact Piano Concerto on the radio the other day and I was, to say the least, frozen and amazed. I thought it sounded Romantic, but then there were Modern influences that made me think again. I always try to guess the composer whenever I hear some classical piece on the radio and I almost always get it right! But this time it was just impossible - I've never heard anything like this. The rich textures of the orchestra contrast beautifully with Arrau's magnificent, clear, scintillating playing of the piano.

Below is a link to the concerto as performed by Claudio Arrau and the Concertgebouw Orchestra, conducted by Bernard Haitink. It was recorded in Concertgebouw, Amsterdam in the October of 1969.



Download.

4 tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment