17.6.10

Micmacs OST


2009; 21 tracks
Composers: Raphael Beau and Max Steiner


Micmacs À Tire-Larigot, (shortened to Micmacs), means 'Non-stop madness.' It's the latest film of French auteur Jean-Pierre Jeunet. He also directed Amélie and Delicatessen, if you've never heard of him. Micmacs was released in 2009, and the soundtrack was done by Rapheal Beau and Max Steiner. I haven't seen the film yet, but I will soon - it looks AMAZING. I am very excited.

This soundtrack is very charming, and parts of it remind me of Yann Tiersen's soundtrack for Amélie, although Micmacs is slightly more "industrial." I don't mean "industrial" as in Skinny Puppy/Throbbing Gristle, but more like this score incorporates city sounds and mundane sounds such as the slicing and sheathing of knives and swords, the clash of glass breaking, the spring of a mousetrap and the metallic ring of a cash register as a means of rhythmic progression. These sounds also add a very comical and "carnival"-like texture to the gentle and romantic melodies of the accordion and piano. I found this soundtrack very whimsical and magical.

Download.

No comments:

Post a Comment