19.4.10

Cocteau Twins

This band is probably my second favorite band in the entire universe, second only to Coil. Plus, they had awesome hairstyles.





Cocteau Twins is a very versatile, prolific, and extremely unique group from Scotland. They were formed in 1979 and have released numerous full-length albums, EPs, Singles, and other collaborations. Elizabeth Fraser is the lead singer, with Robin Guthrie on guitar and drum machine and Will Heggie as the bassist. Fraser's vocals are extremely provocative and diverse. Upon hearing album after album by CT, I became increasingly amazed at the sheer fluidity and abilities of this talented woman's voice (though the talents of the other members are not to go unnoticed) and the icy connection she creates with the other band members. Due to the fact that this band has released material over such a broad length of time, the music that they have created and the movements surrounding their work has changed greatly. This is why many consider Cocteau Twins to have gone through "periods," where they released music leaning more towards dream-pop, post-punk, shoegaze, pop, ambient, etc. I want to post those albums that I personally loved the most, but they in no way are the group's only "good" work. I respect everything that they have done, but here are some of my favorites :) Enjoy. (More info here).

Head Over Heels


1983; 14 tracks


Someone once told me that this album sounds like it was recorded in a cathedral, with it's echoing grandeur and magnificence not often seen in a debut album. This album tends to strike me as some of CT's more deeply cerebral and mystical work. I haven't listened to it half as much as I'd like, but as Cocteau Twins' second album Head Over Heels serves as an extremely apt introduction to their music.

Download.



Treasure


1984; 10 tracks


Every single song on this album is pure perfection. Treasure, apart from being Cocteau Twins' doubtlessly most popular effort, shows a maturity in a young band that can rarely be seen in artists today. When I first heard Treasure, I was reminded almost instantly of Frédéric Chopin's 27 Études. Each of the pieces is intended to "show off" a different aspect of the piano and its technique, much like how each track on Treasure appears to stretch Fraser's voice into a new dimension and sound. I absolutely love Treasure - it is a very beautiful and luscious piece of music.

Download.



Aikea-Guinea EP


1985; 4 tracks


This is a really amazing, delightful EP that is sort of surprising in how fragile and yet devastatingly beautiful it is. I really enjoy -this- particular CT style, that is the icier side of their already post-punk tendencies, the most.

Download.



Victorialand


1986; 10 tracks


This album is a gentle, sweet and honey-like approach to Cocteau Twins, maybe a good introductory album. I consider this album and their music from the late 80s as their transition into a slightly more "no-wave" sound, sort of like My Bloody Valentine, but Fraser's vocals are as piercing as ever.

Download.



Blue Bell Knoll


1988; 10 tracks


I don't care what aaaanyone says, THIS album, Blue Bell Knoll, is my number one favorite Cocteau Twins album. It's perfect. Enough said =)My favorite tracks are "The Itchy Glowbo Blow" (Favorite CT song) and "Suckling the Mender".

Download.



Heaven or Las Vegas


1990; 10 tracks


This is one of my absolute favorite albums of any genre. It is really a gorgeous, upbeat, crazy, bright and brilliant album.

Download.



Four-Calendar Café


1993; 10 tracks


This album is considered by many to be one of Cocteau Twins' weakest albums. I personally don't agree with this concensus at all. I agree that it's a little more bluh than, say, Heaven or Las Vegas, but there are still a few gems on here. "Pur", Track 10, is one of my favorite Cocteau Twins songs ever! It has the most amazing climax, and the bass guitar just drives me crazy. So yeah, don't always believe what you hear, especially in this case.

Download.



Lullabies To Violaine, Pts. 1 and 2


1982

This link includes:
Lullabies to Violaine, Volume 1: Singles and Extended Plays 1982-1990 and Lullabies to Violaine, Volume 2: Singles and Extended Plays 1993-1996. Released March 20, 2006.

Download.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post, I'm really liking this. It reminds me in a way of The Glove, you should hear their album Blue Sunshine if you haven't before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I've never heard them but I'll give it a listen =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, can't wait to be amazed again, as this blog has done many times before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are incredible.

    Someone I know once had dinner at Fraser's house, as their children are in school together. Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be jealous too! Her daughter is around my age, I think.

    Fraser has that timeless voice that one can never forget - very much like Lisa Gerard (and also Brendan Perry) of Dead Can Dance.

    ReplyDelete