5.12.11

Um. Oh my god.

This is Daniil Trifonov playing all 12 of Chopin's Op. 25 Études non-stop at the Rubinstein Competition in May 2011.



Watch through the whole entire thing. Just do it.

A friend of mine told me about this pianist who is literally only 2 years older than me, but has won top prizes in the Tchaikovsky, Chopin, and Rubinstein competitions. I am amazed at his performance. I don't even particularly like a majority of these Études, but I followed along with him in one of my teacher's old books and couldn't stop until the end. I love his faces, I love his sweaty hair, I love how accomplished yet exhausted he looks at the very end, I love the passion and wild, demonic energy that so clearly consumes his mind and body as he plays. At 28:55 he begins playing the final Étude in C minor (sometimes called the "ocean"), and this is my favorite one of all because of the definite mistakes he makes near the end. It is so imperfect but so completely perfect at the same time - I wouldn't want to hear it played any other way. I feel this lump rise up in my throat, like I'm being suffocated by such intoxicating and raging beauty, and I can tell that he feels it too. He is the one drawing it out of the air and living, breathing it until the final note.

In short, I kinda want to fuck his brains out. Not really, but yeah, sometimes girls just get this feeling and I'm feeling it right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment